Surgical Department: Operational Manager - Paediatrics
R550 – 600 000 p.a. plus benefits
The Operational Manager contributes to the hospital’s corporate management by providing strong strategic, professional and clinical leadership for all aspects of nursing in demonstrating care, compassion and respect for patients, carers and hospital staff. He/she supervises all nursing and unit-based personnel in the department in order to provide a safe, caring environment for the patient, their family and staff.
Collaborate with nursing and inter-professional team members to promote the shared vision of the hospital by providing a comprehensive knowledge of hospital administrative procedures, clinical governance and other quality aspects
• Must hold a Degree/Diploma in General Nursing Sciences
• An additional Critical Care or Paediatric Qualification is essential
• A minimum of 5 years appropriate/recognizable experience after registration with SANC as a General Nurse
• 5 + years of Clinical experience in a Paediatric Critical Care Environment
• Current Registration with SANC as a Professional Nurse and Midwife
• 5 + years’ experience in a managerial position, in the Private or Government Hospital Industry
Duties & Responsibilities:
· Manage the Surgical Unit within a framework that supports innovation and best practice
· The Operational Manager will be responsible for the following aspects of the Unit: develops, implements, evaluates, plans and monitors policies and procedures.
· Budgets, allocation of resources, continuous quality improvement initiatives, educational programs and shared governance/shared leadership councils to achieve departmental and organizational goals and objectives.
· Provide day to day clinical supervision, support and leadership for clinical staff working in the unit
· Manage acuities and skill mix in such a way as to ensure cost effective quality care and customer satisfaction
· Manage all costs emanating from the department Ensure correct billing, stock management and purchasing with weekly authorization of stores consumables
· Identify quality improvement opportunities and to ensure Quality Improvement initiatives are developed and measured
· Investigate all negative incidents and ensure appropriate reporting. Track and analyse trends with necessary action plans Evaluate the patient’s journey through patient experience and stakeholder input – evaluate and analyse trends with implementation of action plans
· Evaluate nursing quality indicators and clinical outcomes with implementation of action plans
· Actively participate as a member of a team to achieve goals
· Management of personnel in order to maximize organisation and employee effectiveness
· Develop a talented nursing workforce, ie ensuring talent pool and succession planning – with a clear succession plan/programme
· Work effectively and co-operatively with others to establish and maintain good working relationships that are mutually beneficial.
· Create and maintain a positive environment where the differences of others are recognized, understood, and valued, so that all can reach their full potential and maximize their contributions.
· Create an environment where the staff will optimise their job satisfaction
· Develop collaborative relationships to help accomplish work goal
· Facilitate staff development both personal and professional – ensure all staff attain their required CPD points.
· Coaching and mentoring of staff
· Ensure professional conduct and appearance of staff
· Participate actively in the disaster planning and management ie major incidents management.
· Participate and facilitate initiatives
· Maintain safe practice in a safe environment, reducing the risk of injury to staff by promoting a safe and clean environment that considers patient and staff safety in the unit
· Responsible for decision making in the unit, utilising all available information, including clinical environmental and business intelligence
· Manages the unit effectively and within the budget allocation to ensure best patient outcomes