General Manager Mining, Open Pit
Our client, a major mining concern based in Africa would like to consider applications for their operations in the south of Democratic Republic of the Congo (safe area).
Reports To: Managing Director
ACCOUNTABILITY OBJECTIVE: The General Manager Mining is accountable for developing and implementing mining strategies and initiatives aligned with the overall business strategy to ensure that the development and monitoring of overall miningstrategies, systems and procedures across the organisation to meet the current and future needs of the Company by directing, planning and coordinating all surface mining operations, tailings facilities, maintenance and engineering.
- Master’s Degree in Mining Engineering or related field and fifteen (15) years of management experience in a tier 1 or 2 mining company or a Bachelor’s Degree in Mining Engineering or related field and twenty (20) years management experience in a tier 1 or 2 mining company
- Western Australia – First Class Mine Manager’s Certificate of Competency or equivalent
- Demonstrated technical knowledge and vision to develop mineable reserves from the geologic resources which exist, maximising cash flow, net asset value, minimising unit costs and maximising earning
- Demonstrated ability to read, comprehend and interpret metallurgical literature, technical data and manuals, material safety data sheets and utilise information to improve process, prevent loss or minimise risk
- People oriented and results driven
- Demonstrable experience with mining metrics
- Ability to architect strategy along with leadership skills
- Excellent active listening, negotiation and presentation skills
- Competency to build and effectively manage interpersonal relationships at all levels of the company
- Experience working in the developing world (highly desirable)
- Fluency in English (essential), French (highly desirable)
The general manager mining ensures safe, efficient and reliable mining operations by:
· Engaging in strategic planning, managing and coordinating work practices and sharing knowledge to ensure consistent optimisation of surface mining operations
· Promoting and leading continuous practices, managing change and assessing risks, actively pursuing methods to reduce risks, and continually investigate and implement ways to improve the effectiveness of the mine and mining team implementing best practice
· Leading the mining team by developing, communicating and implementing the strategic plan, effectively interfacing with support functions (finance, human resources, group development, geology), processing and other organisations to facilitate the coordination and execution of work to optimise surface operations
· Leading and managing the mining team by clearly defining expectations of the mining staff’s roles and responsibilities, train and mentor direct reports, and ensure direct reports are trained, on what is needed to do their jobs safely and effectively. Ensuring fair and consistent treatment of all individuals by addressing performance issues with personnel and hold them accountable to expectations jointly agreed to, and have direct reports do the same, and managing succession planning of direct reports and their reports.
· Implement and hold direct reports accountable for health, safety and loss prevention ensuring proactive application of safety and environmental policies in support of mining operations
· Managing and coordinating contracts, cost control, cost estimating, planning and scheduling, support and administrative functions and evaluating third party contractor work to ensure level of performance is in accordance with strategic goals and objectives
· Co-develop with Geology and Processing near term and life of mine plans for the mine site which include accurate mine tonnage requirements, grade estimates, equipment requirements, personnel requirements, supply requirements, and budget/cost estimates
· Preparing and controlling operating budget in support of mining plans, analysing monthly mining control reports, compiling expenditures, accruals and forecast, reporting results to senior management, and taking appropriate actions
· Contributing to the development of annual capital budget, major project budgets, and controlling and monitoring capital budgets required for mining operations
· Ensuring production achieves budgeted/planned amounts to feed processing plants, managing and coordinating mining and transportation of complete and dynamic ore types, ensuring grade to the processing plants is as budgeted to optimise metal production.
HOW TO APPLY: Send detailed MS Word CV to andrecareeravenue.co.za for consideration.